- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 garlic clove (more if you really like garlic)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 package spinach or arugula leaves
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water for 1-2 minutes. Bring 2 cups of broth or water to boil. Add quinoa, stir, cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Check the quinoa after 10 minutes, you may need to add a little more liquid. Cook until it is tender.
- In the meantime mince, mash or crush the garlic. Place in a bowl and stir in the lemon juice, black pepper and salt; whisk in the oil.
- Add the cooked quinoa and the chickpeas, almonds, and bell pepper to the bowl and mix. Serve over the spinach or arugula leaves and drizzle with the dressing. Salad can be served warm or cold.