- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water or clear broth
- Olive or vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1-quart (or larger) pot with tight-fitting lid
- Measure 1 cup of brown rice. I generally use short-grain or medium-grain brown rice. Long-grain may need a little extra water.
- Heat a little oil in the pot over medium heat, add rice and throughly mix with the oil. This cuts down on the stickiness of the rice, and it is optional.
- Add 2 cups liquid and stir. Bring to a simmer and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Turn the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and stir to make sure there is no liquid at the bottom of the pot. Let cool, then serve.